DAFC.net
Home 19 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Michael Stewart
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 6 May 14:53

I know he`s not everyone`s cup of tea but somehow I can`t help liking him and I`ve nothing against Craig Levein, but when Michael says Craig can interview himself on "Sacked in the Morning ", I have to check myself from seeing the funny side.

St. Johnstone now seem favourites for the playoffs although they still have Ross County to play. I`m not sure I would favour them to beat Partick or Raith, if it came to that. Maybe Michael`s prophesy has some credibility.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Michael Stewart
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 6 May 16:22

He can be a bit opinionated and annoying, but that`s perhaps quite necessary in punditry. šŸ˜ƒ He went up in my estimation when he was suspended and came close to being sacked by the BBC for daring to be critical of our beloved Establishment Club. He`s much more measured and careful in what he says nowadays, which is a pity.

What ever happened to free speech?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 6 May 18:17

Freedom of speech is the right to air your views (within reason) without having the government taking action against you. It`s not the right to say what you want without consequence though. Not commenting on the rights and wrongs of the Stewart case more just commenting on the misuse of the freedom of speech argument.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Mon 6 May 18:48

He is a bitter and twisted man who twists things to suit his own agenda
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Mon 6 May 19:02

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Mon 6 May 18:48

Bitter and twisted about what exactly? And whats his agenda?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 May 19:14

Apologies for the misuse, TOWK. I should have said that the BBC effectively muzzled Stewart so that he wouldn`t upset large swathes of their viewers and listeners with his forthright opinions.

Quote:

That sounds just like the kind of statement a bitter and twisted man would make, Chris. šŸ˜‰ Everybody hates us, but we don`t care, eh? šŸ¤”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 6 May 22:43

Quote:

I can`t stop laughing at the fact that someone who supports Donald Trump made that statement about anyone other than Donald Trump.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 00:11

Nah, I don`t get the bitter and twisted bit at all. Maybe a tad harsh on old Craig but probably said for journalistic effect. Quite fulsome in his praise for Dundee Utd on Friday night but not entirely negative of ourselves in recent days. Free speech is good if it`s honest, objective and kindly meant. Journalistic license can perhaps stretch the boundaries a little and I`d happily give him the benefit of the doubt.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 7 May 06:44

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 6 May 22:43

Quote:

I can`t stop laughing at the fact that someone who supports Donald Trump made that statement about anyone other than Donald Trump.

Trump, Man U and Rangers, PARrot. A quite unique hat trick. šŸ™‚

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Tue 7 May 07:06

Michael Stewart could start a fight in an empty room. He tries too hard to be edgy and says things he probably doesnā€™t even agree with.

The other week, he said on the radio that he could see signs of progress from Hibs. He was then asked on the radio what these signs were, he said there wasnā€™t any progress and got defensive and started accusing the host of making stuff up in an attempt to make him look stupid. He was sounding very aggressive about it too, looking for some sort of argument/fight. Struggling to see why people think heā€™s a good pundit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 7 May 11:04

I find him to be annoying and pompous. I have Radio Scotland on while driving home from a game, as it`s just a habit and something I`ve done for years. However, I now find that it`s often impossible to listen to, and the main reason is that the programme now seems set up for him and Tom English (also pompous and annoying) to have a weekly argument at 5pm on a Saturday. It`s not a surprise as the host used to have a programme on a Monday night that was similar, but the current Saturday programme is all about `incredible drama`, confrontation and aggression. Michael Stewart seems to revel in that but I don`t like it at all.

He also annoys me by pretending to be knowledgeable when he does the Friday night games, when he`s actually completely ignorant. And his continual slagging of Craig Levein, often making it needlessly personal, just seems a bit pathetic to me.

I used to think he was OK, but would now be happy never to hear him on TV or radio again.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 7 May 11:45

Pundits like Michael Stewart give the impression that football management is easy and decisions are either right or wrong whereas, in reality, it`s extremely difficult and subject to many influences outwith a manager`s control. The same applies to directors. He was very critical of Aberdeen taking so long to appoint a permanent successor to Barry Robson but didn`t seem to address the issue of how you react if the person you want isn`t readily available but you are sure he is the right man for the job.

He`s shrewd enough to know that making a living as a pundit is a lot less risky and stress-free than trying your hand at management which is probably why he didn`t pursue that as a career. A lot of pundits simply churn out cliches but overall I have more respect for those who have experienced the highs and lows and frustrations of the job rather than just sat on the sidelines and criticised.

His issue with Craig Levein seems personal and I`m not sure the BBC should encourage it. Does anyone know how it originated?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 7 May 11:53

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 7 May 11:45

Pundits like Michael Stewart give the impression that football management is easy and decisions are either right or wrong whereas, in reality, it`s extremely difficult and subject to many influences outwith a manager`s control. The same applies to directors. He was very critical of Aberdeen taking so long to appoint a permanent successor to Barry Robson but didn`t seem to address the issue of how you react if the person you want isn`t readily available but you are sure he is the right man for the job.

He`s shrewd enough to know that making a living as a pundit is a lot less risky and stress-free than trying your hand at management which is probably why he didn`t pursue that as a career. A lot of pundits simply churn out cliches but overall I have more respect for those who have experienced the highs and lows and frustrations of the job rather than just sat on the sidelines and criticised.

His issue with Craig Levein seems personal and I`m not sure the BBC should encourage it. Does anyone know how it originated?

His issue with Craig Levein is easy to explain.
Both of them are highly opinionated and rarely back down. Michaelā€™s problem is Craig happened to call the shots at Hearts as manager.
Iā€™ve managed at amateur level and you always get that one player who thinks he knows better than you and becomes a real annoyance to team morale.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein PƤckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 13:20

Thanks for the input, AAPS. That probably helps to explain why James McPake likes to sign players he or Dave Mackay have worked with before. Coincidentally there`s an article on COWS today in which he praises the contribution senior players like O`Halloran and Chalmers have made to the harmony of the squad this season both on and off the park.

I wonder how Michael Stewart got on with Fergie when he was at Old Trafford?!!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 13:40

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 7 May 13:20

Thanks for the input, AAPS. That probably helps to explain why James McPake likes to sign players he or Dave Mackay have worked with before. Coincidentally there`s an article on COWS today in which he praises the contribution senior players like O`Halloran and Chalmers have made to the harmony of the squad this season both on and off the park.

I wonder how Michael Stewart got on with Fergie when he was at Old Trafford?!!!

Thatā€™s perhaps half his problem. Going from a manager he highly respected to one he thought of as inferior.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 13:55

Having done a wee bit research I`m not sure their paths crossed much at Hearts. MS was there on loan in 2004-05 but CL left them for Leicester in October 2004 so they could only have been there together for a few months at most. When Stewart returned as a signed player in 2007 Levein was manager at Dundee United and had moved on to Scotland by the time Stewart`s contract was up in 2010.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 7 May 14:24

Does Craig Levien ever mention this spat? If not then the problem could be MSā€™s alone. Why does he feel the need to go on about it.

On the Friday night I really enjoy listening to James McFadden. Much better than MS. No nonsense, a wee bit jovial and also not too serious. Actually I have really enjoyed the Championship TV games this year.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 14:28

Quote:

parsmad68, Tue 7 May 14:24

Does Craig Levien ever mention this spat? If not then the problem could be MSā€™s alone. Why does he feel the need to go on about it.

On the Friday night I really enjoy listening to James McFadden. Much better than MS. No nonsense, a wee bit jovial and also not too serious. Actually I have really enjoyed the Championship TV games this year.

ā€œLevein has previously accused Stewart of having a vendetta against him following repeated digs, while he described the former Manchester United kid as his worst value-for-money signing ā€“ after paying Ā£1 to secure his loan arrival.ā€

This quote from Levein wonā€™t have helped.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Tue 7 May 14:44

Never had much time for him since he refused to play for the Scotland under 21s once he had made his debut for Man Utd, thinking it was beneath him .......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 7 May 14:46

There`s a long thread in 2017 on a Hearts forum that doesn`t fully explain Stewart`s vendetta against Levein. But most of the fans contributing suggested that Stewart is just a bitter man whose ability on and off the field has never matched his own estimates of his greatness. Whether that`s true or not I don`t know, but there`s a good story of Jim Jefferies seeming to concur.

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/172409-no-wonder-craig-levein-hates-you-michael-stewart/

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 7 May 15:24

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Tue 7 May 14:28

Quote:

parsmad68, Tue 7 May 14:24

ā€œLevein has previously accused Stewart of having a vendetta against him following repeated digs, while he described the former Manchester United kid as his worst value-for-money signing ā€“ after paying Ā£1 to secure his loan arrival.ā€

This quote from Levein wonā€™t have helped.

It is all rather childish isnā€™t it really? These are just vindictive.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 7 May 15:37

Agree completely with Socks here. I can`t stand the man and I have it on excellent authority that he`s not well liked among the pundits. And I never post stuff like that so there you go. šŸ˜‚
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunPar  
Date:   Tue 7 May 16:54

TBH Iā€™ve no gripes with him but Roy Keane slated him in a passing remark on the overlapā€¦ā€¦..he obviously never rated him. I really canā€™t stand Levein though. Iā€™d go as far to say that MS is a much better pundit than CL is a manager. Iā€™d be devastated if DAFC ever appointed him. Even if he is from Dunfermline.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 7 May 17:01

Quote:

DunPar, Tue 7 May 16:54

Iā€™d be devastated if DAFC ever appointed him. Even if he is from Dunfermline.

What? You donā€™t see the tactical brilliance in a 4-6-0 formation?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 7 May 17:10

Iā€™m with Rusty and Socks.

ā€Buffyā€™s Buns are the finest in Fifeā€, J. Spence 2019ā€
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Tue 7 May 17:21

To be fair to Mikie thatā€™s quite a funny comment.

Iā€™ve never met him (although I once offered him a lesson in basic arithmetic ā€“ he never took me up on it) but he does come across as someone whose belief in his own abilities both as a player and as some sort of intellect are not matched by the evidence. He may be brighter than the average ā€˜baller but heā€™s still as grammatically challenged as most of them, and he doesnā€™t appear to take challenges to his self-perceived wisdom well.

Of course, maybe his role is to play the pantomime villain although thatā€™s more of a commercial radio trick. I do listen to BBC Sportsound on the way to and from a game, but itā€™s gone downhill in my opinion. You could just about accept their old firm obsession (ā€œNo games in the premier league today, so rather than feature the championship weā€™ll have an in depth discussion on Scottish clubsā€™ failure in Europeā€ ) but now they seem to have gone for this mish mash of low-grade debate, fansā€™ opinions, and popular music. Youā€™re lucky to catch the lower division results after a game.

I have met Tom English ā€“ he was quite affable. Iā€™ve also heard that Craig Levein is a man of unshakeable opinions ā€“ although his media persona seems much softer.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 7 May 17:52

I always remember Michael Stewartā€™s interview on BBC Radio Scotland when his playing career had recently ended - on the subject of dressing room chat and talking to players of other clubs.

He was quite clear that money and contracts were the issues that motivated the vast majority of players- that was what ensured their loyalty to the jersey.

Refreshing to hear it from an experienced pro.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 7 May 18:43

Sadly, Sportsound as we all used to enjoy it is long gone. The days when decent pundits spoke about football and you`d get a decent round up of lower league games etc disappeared long ago. Since Kenny McIntyre took over, there has been an even bigger lurch to the tabloidy, TalkSport/Clyde Scoreboard end of the spectrum, where only the Glasgow two get any air time, VAR is the topic discussed (they`d talk about it even if there were no contentious decisions and every game ended up 5-4) and Stewart and English are given "hot topics" to talk about in an obviously forced debate (I`m not sure if they both actually believe what they`re saying, it`s like they`ve been given a line and have to stick with it no matter what). A shame, as Stewart when we started was decent (and still can be, as he usually is on Viaplay) and the other decent additions like Rory Loy have now also went down the clickbait/tabloid route. I barely listen these days, even when I can`t make a game. It`s awful radio for simpletons now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 19:00

Presumably replacing the laid-back, conciliatory Richard Gordon with the more confrontational Kenny McInytre was a deliberate policy decision by the BBC to attract a different audience. Thankfully Richard Gordon is still available on Sundays and for some midweek fixtures.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Tue 7 May 19:08

BBC sport Scotland radio coverage is an absolute shadow of its former self. Full of completely lazy and uninformed ā€œpunditsā€. Rory loy the latest to spout utter nonsense when talking about Falkirk, who according to him ā€œran Dunfermline very close all to the end last seasonā€, and said Falkirk were a young squad. In fact their average age is midtable in league 1, and is greater than ours. And as for the ā€œfansā€ section, itā€™s utterly cringeworthy, they invite folk who have a YouTube account or a podcast or a relatively decent following on ā€œXā€ and let them spout amateur pihs about their team with McIntyre or English giving it ā€œfantastic achievements, I mean theyā€™re really going somewhereā€ or ā€œitā€™s all going wrong there, 3 defeats on the bounce, is change coming for the managerā€ - depending on the team in question.

Itā€™s so utterly devoid of quality itā€™s become a chore to listen to, and to make it worse, the nightly podcasts are becoming just as amateurish with different hosts, all of whom have the same knowledge vacuum as their Saturday counterparts.

But, Iā€™m sure their listener figures are up because the half of the Glasgow two who had been in a huff feel justified enough to tune in again after charm offensives by McIntyre and Steven Thompson. For further evidence of this, I point you to the interviews at the start of the season that Thompson ran with Michael Beale and Cantwell. Would give ā€œsucculent lambā€ a true run for its money.

Post Edited (Wed 08 May 05:55)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Tue 7 May 20:56

Quote:

Luxembourg Par, Tue 7 May 17:01

Quote:

DunPar, Tue 7 May 16:54

Iā€™d be devastated if DAFC ever appointed him. Even if he is from Dunfermline.

Aberdour actually and a Rovers fan to boot.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 May 01:06

I must say I`m very impressed with the collective wisdom of the above comments. Some excellent analysis there and very fair and educated comments of both Michael Stewart, Craig Levein and Scottish football pundits in general. Certainly sheds good light on the Fife education system, which, sadly, I only enjoyed for four years.

Maybe Michael would have been more mentally agile and less reliant on brusque rhetoric had he partaken of a good Fife education, but to all accounts Craig Levein lacks any such excuse for his 4-6-0 formations. However a quick call up to his former international posting and the re-adoption of the 4-6-0 for at least the first game against the hosts might keep the score down to 4 or 5.

Post Edited (Wed 08 May 01:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Wed 8 May 13:04

I also like James McFadden, although I did question his knowledge last night when he said Falkirk could win the league and the penguin was a good manager šŸ™„
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 May 13:16

Michael Stewart had another wee dig at Craig Levein last night when he said that, if they were the 11th team in the Premiership, St Johnstone might struggle to overcome the winners of the play-offs from the Championship but he reckoned Ross County would get through if they had to play off.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 8 May 15:02

Heā€™s an Anglophobic , bitter Jock SNP bottom licker, or is it Alba now?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Wed 8 May 15:30

Parboiled wrote:

> Heā€™s an Anglophobic , bitter Jock SNP bottom licker, or is it
> Alba now?
>
>

Hmm, anglophobic accusation followed by some internalised self hatred. Youā€™d be an interesting subject on a psychologists couch.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Wed 8 May 16:53

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 8 May 13:16

Michael Stewart had another wee dig at Craig Levein last night when he said that, if they were the 11th team in the Premiership, St Johnstone might struggle to overcome the winners of the play-offs from the Championship but he reckoned Ross County would get through if they had to play off.

My mate said the same thing though, so maybe thats a common thought amongst people?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 May 17:02

Presumably your mate doesn`t have a platform on national television! Maybe I was reading too much into it though but that`s what happens when viewers think there`s an issue between two people.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 8 May 17:09

Don`t tell parboiled that Michael is also trans. He`ll be foaming at the mouth.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 8 May 17:43

Quote:

theparsman1885, Wed 8 May 15:30

Parboiled wrote:

> Heā€™s an Anglophobic , bitter Jock SNP bottom licker, or is it
> Alba now?
>

Hmm, anglophobic accusation followed by some internalised self hatred. Youā€™d be an interesting subject on a psychologists couch.

Parboiled is English. Never fails to miss the irony of calling someone phobic whilst throwing in his own insults. Definitely lives alone or with his mum.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 8 May 21:12

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 8 May 15:02

Heā€™s an Anglophobic , bitter Jock SNP bottom licker, or is it Alba now?

I actually quite like Michael Stewart. Even more so now. He should be on the telly and radio more often
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 May 22:11

red-star-par wrote:

>
Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 8 May 15:02
>
> Heā€™s an Anglophobic , bitter Jock SNP bottom licker, or is
> it Alba now?

>
> I actually quite like Michael Stewart. Even more so now. He
> should be on the telly and radio more often

Agreed Red Star Par, I like him too (and Craig Levein for that matter)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 8 May 23:10

Doesn`t bother me. He understands his football

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Ā© 2021-- DAFC.net