DAFC.net
Home 07 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Grady McGrath
Topic Originator: sjapar  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 18:50

Could it be worth taken a risk on signing him scored 34 goals and has Angus clubs after him . He fits the bill for what the Germans are looking to bring in young that can be sold on for profit . Big step up but if he wasn’t too much money maybe a risk worth taken IMO .

Sja
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Grady McGrath
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 18:56

Quote:

sjapar, Fri 26 Apr 18:50

Could it be worth taken a risk on signing him scored 34 goals and has Angus clubs after him . He fits the bill for what the Germans are looking to bring in young that can be sold on for profit . Big step up but if he wasn’t too much money maybe a risk worth taken IMO .

Lewis McCann and jakubiak would tear that league too shreds. It`s a not a big step up it`s huge
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 19:11

Guys who performed well for us in League 1 are considered not good enough for the Championship but somebody scoring goals three tiers down is worth a contract?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 19:37

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 26 Apr 19:11

Guys who performed well for us in League 1 are considered not good enough for the Championship but somebody scoring goals three tiers down is worth a contract?

He did start his post with `could` so was asking a question ( thought you`d spot that 🤣)
Plus I don`t see anywhere in his post where he derides our current strikers.

Not sure where your point is in debating with his subject where he was only stating his opinion that this guy might be worth a risk if the money was right

Are you just looking for our usual posters who criticise our forward players to jump in order to start another thread about their abilities/ inabilities???? 🤦‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 20:04

It sounds like you`re looking for an argument rather than me. Mine was a rhetorical question. It`s quite a jump from the Highland League to the Championship.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 20:08

As a comparison mackenzie kirk was also banging goals in at will early season in the LL but hasn`t scored when given the chance on loan to Hamilton in league 1.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 20:34

Quite a few of our strikers have been proven to be not good enough for this level ,why not take s punt on someone from a lower level , like Andy Tod, John Watson when they were signed .

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 21:25

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Fri 26 Apr 20:34

Quite a few of our strikers have been proven to be not good enough for this level ,why not take s punt on someone from a lower level , like Andy Tod, John Watson when they were signed .

Because when tod and watson made the step up, the gulf was smaller due to the lack of sports science and fitness coaching, etc.

Part-time to full-time is a huge step nowadays.

How long would you propose this punt went on for because it would take 12 months for him to get up to the same levels fitness wise.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 21:45

Maybe if we have a fully fit team to start the season!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 21:50

Quote:

weemike, Fri 26 Apr 21:25

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Fri 26 Apr 20:34

Because when tod and watson made the step up, the gulf was smaller due to the lack of sports science and fitness coaching, etc.

Part-time to full-time is a huge step nowadays.

How long would you propose this punt went on for because it would take 12 months for him to get up to the same levels fitness wise.

I bow down to your sports science background, and to your abilities to judge the guy we are talking about .

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 22:03

I bow down to your sports science background, and to your abilities to judge the guy we are talking about .

You don`t need to be a sports scientist or a chief scout to know that 99.5% of part time players will not make it at a full time club.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 22:06

Like Josh Edwards ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 22:07

Joe Cardle

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 22:11

12 months to get up to fitness etc if he joined a full time club🤷🤷 Not true!
!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 22:17

Quote:

weemike, Fri 26 Apr 22:03

You don`t need to be a sports scientist or a chief scout to know that 99.5% of part time players will not make it at a full time club.

Who makes up these random %s and posts them as fact? 🤔😂 guy could be an ironman triathlete in his spare time for all you know 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 22:18

Quote:

Alter Ego, Fri 26 Apr 22:11

12 months to get up to fitness etc if he joined a full time club🤷🤷 Not true!
!

How long do you reckon it would take a part time athlete to get to the same levels his full time professional peers?

Expecting it to happen in less than 12 months would be unfair.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 22:20

Quote:

Dave_1885, Fri 26 Apr 22:17

Quote:

weemike, Fri 26 Apr 22:03

Who makes up these random %s and posts them as fact? 🤔😂 guy could be an ironman triathlete in his spare time for all you know 😂

Could be! But it`s extremely unlikely. And if we were looking for good swimmers and cyclers then he`d be worth looking at.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 22:32

Bert Paton used to pick up players from part-time football and they often did very well - but they did seem to excel once they had a full-time pre-season behind them.

There are always exceptions, however. Derek Fleming was signed from, I think, Meadowbank Thistle and was excellent from his first appearance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 22:41

Meadowbank were in the professional league I think one league below us, (could be wrong) so stepping up is a natural progression,

Like cardle and Edwards, excelling in the current league so they move to us in the next league up.

But we`re talking about a guy moving up 3 tiers.

He might well be a championship player in a couple of years,

But let`s just take a punt at a cost of £600-£900 a week, (gotta compensate his loss of full time job)

Which could be the difference in convincing kane or MFW to sign.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 23:07

Arbroath have a whole team of part time players. Admittedly they have been relegated this season but they have competed well in the championship for several years and were very close to getting promoted to the SPL.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 06:22

Quote:

CrossPar, Fri 26 Apr 23:07

Arbroath have a whole team of part time players. Admittedly they have been relegated this season but they have competed well in the championship for several years and were very close to getting promoted to the SPL.

They were full time last and this season
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 07:49

The new development facility may afford the opportunity to bring in part-time players. There are a lot of challenges around full-time football if players have day jobs, i.e., they may not want full-time football for career or financial reasons.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 08:55

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Sat 27 Apr 06:22

Quote:

Taken from Arbroath website:-

As we embrace a new era under Jim McIntyre’s leadership, we need your support more than ever. Despite challenges like injuries and maintaining a competitive squad, we’re determined to continue our Championship legacy.

As the sole part-time club in the division, Arbroath FC faces unique pressures, particularly in attracting top talent who often lean towards full-time clubs; however, with the vital support provided by the Always Arbroath fighting fund, we can offer compelling incentives to players, encouraging them to join our journey and be part of our distinctive and passionate football story.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 09:31

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Sat 27 Apr 06:22

Quote:

Source? I thought they had remained part time. Listened to Dick Campbell on the Walking Down the Halbeath Road podcast and he certainly seemed to think they were part time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 09:47

Were they not hybrid?

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shellypar  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 11:03

Quote:

EastEndTales, Sat 27 Apr 09:47

Were they not hybrid?

Im sure because of loan deals that would impact, but most of those loan players will still train with their full time clubs, and train with their loan teams at night, ie rovers, all their loan players still train with the first team during the week, ie arnott at east kilbride, callum hannah etc

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 12:56

Where did the % come from wee mike is there a source that has done some extensive testing etc or are you just plucking out a number ?

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 13:15

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Sat 27 Apr 12:56

Where did the % come from wee mike is there a source that has done some extensive testing etc or are you just plucking out a number ?

Plucked it clean outta thin air, but seeing as the professional game isn`t full of ex part time players in the upper tiers,

Then I`m guessing 1 in 200 is fair shout. Especially as we`re talking about the player being a success for a sell on.

I`m happy to revise my guess to 1 in 100, or even 1 in 50. But that still only brings its down to 98%.

I could`ve worded it differently as part time boys will naturally step up 1 league to full time football but going up from non league part time to full time championship is almost unheard of.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 13:19

Yes but not always mainly due to quality. Hibs was interested in signing Rory McAllister from Peterhead a while back but he had his own company and didn`t want to walk away from that to sign for Hibs. Pretty good move considering the age of retirement in football compared to any other sector.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 13:29

I`m willing to wager £50 to pars foundation that the player in question will not be competing in the top four of the championship within the next 3 seasons?

You up for it?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 13:53

Quote:

EastEndTales, Sat 27 Apr 09:47

Were they not hybrid?

Maybe getting mixed up with Airdrie? Airdrie were hybrid until 2 years ago, when they went full time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 13:56

He has been linked to Arbroath and Montrose so if he gets a move there and does well the next step is the Championship.
I`m sure Andy Robertson was a part-time footballer until he was 20.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 20:10

There’s nothing to suggest McCann would rip the highland league up.

I’d be willing to give the guy a chance, better him than giving yet another chance to players we know for sure can’t cut it I guess espech if he’s a youngster.

Turner struggled in his first season then really improved and have done well in this league.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 20:46

As a matter of interest, has anyone actually seen this guy play?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 21:36

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 27 Apr 20:46

As a matter of interest, has anyone actually seen this guy play?

Highly doubt it

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: stevemac  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 22:47

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse Reply To This Message
Topic Originator: wee eck like
Date: Sat 27 Apr 20:46

As a matter of interest, has anyone actually seen this guy play

I know nothing about this guy but based on your bias then someone like Jamie vardy would never have moved from non league🤷‍♂️

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net